Friday, March 11, 2011

The skinny on my medical coverage

So, yes I received my approval letter from the state of Maryland on the 8th for medical assistance.
To quote the approval letter:
'Based on your application dated XXX, you are eligible for Medical Assistance effective 10/01/10. Your period of eligibility is from 10/10 through 09/11.
You will receive a Medical Assistance card for each person listed.
Most people eligible for Medical Assistance must be enrolled in HealthChoice, a managed care program. If you must enroll, you will receive information by mail which will help you select the best Managed Care Organization (MCO) for you and your family. If you would like to receive information about HealthChoice right away, you may call 1(800) XXX-XXXX.'
So, ladies and gents - would you want to wait to get the information, or call to get it "right away"? I wanted it right away!! I've been without health insurance since the end of June last year. I've been a mess of pain, health problems and depression rolled up in anxiety attacks the size of Lake Anna.
So I called them to get the provider's list, information on prescription coverage and to see when I'd get my insurance card. The lady I spoke with was very polite and friendly (I was shocked to get someone courteous - this should've been a clue). I am NOT in their computer system. She was very empathetic and gave me information to pass along to my DSS case manager so as to expedite my being put into their system. "I'm not in the XXXX System, and my case manager needs to do Form XYZ and fax it directly to XXX-XXX-XXXX".
I immediately called my case manager and left her a voice message (as per the usual) stating everything the lady told me; and I asked her to kindly give me a call back (I have questions over how much longer this is going to take). That was 810am... I heard nothing back from her today.
I asked a friend who is on the medical assistance program if she remembered how long it took her to receive her information and insurance cards after getting the approval letter. She said it took 3 weeks, and then an extra 10 days to get the selected providers approved for visits. So, I'm now looking at another month of waiting. How much patience can they possibly expect from someone with chronic pain? This is just beyond ridiculous. I'm stressed out and ready to just fall apart and break down.

No comments:

Post a Comment